Stuffit Expander 4 was the most popular archives decompression utility for Mac back in the early 90's. It supports many compression formats such as.sit,.bin,.hqx and.zip. Stuffit Expander 4 was superseded by Stuffit Expander 5 in the mid 90's. Since Stuffit Expander 5.5 requires Mac OS 7.5 or later, Stuffit Expander 4 remains the best option for Mac OS 7.0 and 7.1 environments. StuffIt Destinations 15.0.7 for Mac OS 10.6.8 33.3MB StuffIt Deluxe Mac Updates Version 16.0.5 English – Mac OS X 10.8 – 10.11 Download 41.5MB. Destinations is the newest member of the StuffIt Family for Mac, which includes free StuffIt Expander 2011, StuffIt 2011 and StuffIt Deluxe 2011. StuffIt Deluxe enables you to work with a wide variety of compressed and encoded file formats. StuffIt can expand over 30 formats including RAR, 7zip, split and segmented archives. StuffIt Expander opens files created with WinZip®, 7zX, iShrink, SimplyRAR, Rarify, Rucksack (formerly iArchiver), BetterZip, RarMachine, GUI Tar, CleanArchiver, Springy, TarPit, RAR, Ez7z, Keka, and the compression utilities built into recent versions of Windows and Mac OS X. StuffIT Expander Decompresses Following Filetypes. 7-Zip (.7z,.cb7).
The main window of StuffIt Expander 2011 uses a severely minimalistic interface.
|Developer(s)||Smith Micro Software|
|Operating system||Classic Mac OS, macOS, Windows|
StuffIt Expander is a proprietary, freeware, closed source, decompression software utility developed by Allume Systems (a subsidiary of Smith Micro Software formerly known as Aladdin Systems). It runs on the classic Mac OS, macOS, and Microsoft Windows. Prior to 2011, a Linux version had also been available for download.
The latest version for each Mac platform is as follows:
- 16.0.5 for Mac OS X 10.8+ (as of January 2019);
- 15.0.7 (2011) for Mac OS X 10.6.8+;
- 15.0.4 (2011) for Mac OS X 10.5+;
- 14.0.1 (2010) for Mac OS X 10.4+;
- 10.0.2 for Mac OS X 10.3+;
- 8.0.2 for Mac OS X 10.0+;
- 7.0.3 for Mac OS 8.6+;
- 6.0.1 for Mac OS 8.1+ (PowerPC only);
- 5.5.1 for System 7.1+ (68020 and up, PowerPC);
- 4.5 for System 6+ (compatible with all 68k processors).
StuffIt has been a target of criticism and dissatisfaction from Mac users in the past as the file format changes frequently, notably during the introduction of StuffIt version 5.0. Expander 5.0 contained many bugs, and its file format was not readable by the earlier version 4.5, leaving Mac users of the time without a viable compression utility.
The latest stand-alone version for Windows is 2009 (13.0). Unlike the version before it (12.0), which was only able to decompress the newer .sitx (and ZIP) archives, version 2009 claims to be able to decompress over 30 formats, some listed below. The executables require both, the .NET v2.0 framework and MSVC 2008 (9.0) runtimes. The previous stand-alone version able to decompress .sit and other classic Mac OS-specific archives was 7.02, distributed with StuffIt v7.0.x for Windows.
From versions 7.5.x to 11 the Expander capabilities were actually performed by the StuffIt Standard Edition, that allowed decompression even after the end of the trial period. To start StuffIt in Expander mode the following command line switches were used: -expand -uiexpander. Note that the registration reminder dialogue box is not shown in this case. With older versions of StuffIt Expander on the classic Mac OS platform, such as StuffIt Expander 3.5, it was possible to enhance the capabilities of StuffIt Expander and to add support for decompressing additional archive formats by means of the shareware DropStuff with Expander Enhancer software from Aladdin Systems.
There is also a command lineDOS application called UNSTUFF v1.1 that allows decompression of .sit files.
StuffIt Expander 2009 decompresses files in the following formats:
- 7-Zip (.7z, .cb7)
- AppleSingle (.as)
- Arc (.arc)
- ARJ (.arj)
- BinHex (.hqx), all versions
- BTOA (.b2a, .btoa)
- bzip2 (.bzip, .bzip2, .bz, .bz2, .tbz, .tbz2, .tar.bz, .tar.bz2)
- CAB (.cab)
- Compact Pro (.cpt)
- gzip (.gz, .tgz)
- LHA (.lha, .lzh)
- LZMA (.lzma, .tlzma, .tar.lzma)
- MacBinary (.bin, .macbin), all versions
- MIME/Base 64 (.mime)
- Private File (.pF), Aladdin's encryption file format
- RAR (.rar, .rNN, .cbr, .partNN.rar), including segmented
- SpaceSaver StuffIt compression format used in versions prior 5.x
- StuffIt (.sit, .sitx, .sit.N, .partNN.sitx, .sea, .exe) v1.5.1 to 8.0.x, including encrypted, segmented and self-extracting archive (Classic Mac OS file type code 'SIT!')
- tar (.tar, .gtar, .gnutar, .ustar, .cbt)
- Unix Compress (.Z, .z, .taz)
- UU (.uu, .uue, .enc), PC/Unix 8 bit to 7 bit encoding similar to BinHex (.hqx)
- yEncode (.ync, .y)
- ZIP (.zip, .zNN, .cbz, .exe), including encrypted, Zip64, segmented and self-extracting archive
- ^StuffIt updates page
- ^Stuffit Expander (Mac) download page
- ^Engst, Adam (1994-07-18). 'SEx and the Single Archive'. TidBITS. Retrieved 2018-05-11.
StuffIt has two applications for Mac OSand Mac OS X for decoding stuffed files: StuffIt Deluxe andStuffIt Expander. StuffIt Deluxe is a commercial productavailable from Smith Micro.StuffIt Expander is freeware and is bundled with someversions of Mac OS and Mac OS X. If you do not have it, you may download this program fromSmith Micro's StuffIt Expander web site.
StuffIt Expander and StuffIt Deluxe can access the following fileformats:
Using StuffIt Deluxe
If you drag and drop a stuffed archive over the StuffItDeluxe icon, a window will open that contains the contents of thestuffed archive. Drag items out of the window or double-clickthem to unstuff them. This allows you to unstuff only parts of thearchive rather than the whole archive.
Stuffit Expander Pc
Using StuffIt Expander
You can decode a compressed or encoded file with StuffIt Expander in several ways:
- Double-click the icon of the file. On many systems, StuffItExpander will launch and decode the file.
- Using your mouse, click and hold the icon of the file, and dragit over the icon of StuffIt Expander. When StuffIt Expander's icondarkens, release the mouse button. StuffIt Expander will open anddecode the file, and then quit.
- Double-click StuffIt Expander's icon, and wait for it to open.From the File menu, select Expand, and in the windowthat appears, find the file you want to decode. StuffIt Expander willthen decode the file.
- With StuffIt Expander open, from the Window menu, selectDrag Window. To expand your file, drag it into the
Expanderwindow that opens.
Stuffit Expander Download
Once StuffIt Expander has finished, it usually places the decoded filein the same folder as the original version. However, if none of theabove options work, your file may be corrupt.
Stuffit Expander 16
Note: To correctly decode MacBinary IIIfiles, you must have version 5.0 or later of StuffIt Expander. Olderversions will work to some extent, but cannot extract icon badges orrouting information from MacBinary III.